Monday, September 16, 2013

Lydia Gosling - #4

Zin Lim – “Towel Dry” - 12x9 - Oil
Done Well:
-The use of the palate keeping to neutral tones, and greys. I feel that it really complements the figure and posture.  
- I really like that the background is more grey, allowing the body to pop forward with color and focus.

Improvement Suggestions:
- I think that the image looks a little fuzzy, I think with a few spots with more clarity would add greatly to the image.
- I do wish Lim included more of the face and hands so the audience could look at how the artist handled harder subjects.






Lacey Lewis – “Visceral”- 24" x 18" - Oil
Done Well:
-The tonal values of the shadows really accentuates the muscles and ranges of her body, along with the background pulling in the blues, I feel it works nicely.
- The figure itself is positioned really nicely allowing for interesting framing and showing different aspects of the body.

Improvement Suggestions:
- I wish that there were a little more red tones in the skin to contrast more with the shadows and background.
- I feel that the hair could have a little more detail just to show that it’s wispy instead of looking like a solid object.





Kris Lewis - Oil 
Done Well:
- The proportions of the face are really interesting with an artist who elongates features of many of their subjects.  
- The color palate given is really nice with the ranges of reds and browns. I think it adds to the artists direction of making this look a little antiqued.

Improvement Suggestions:
- I feel that the background should be more developed, instead of now where it looks like a figure pasted on to a backdrop.
-The leaves would look more interesting if they were developed more or blurred a little to give the figure more depth in space.

Albuquerque, New Mexico Painting 
-This piece is located on the side of LA Underground. The artist is Gamma, who is a well-known mural artist out of Colorado.  I’ve always been interested in this piece, as I am in love with pseudo-pin-up girls. This painting is really amazing in detail, especially that it’s done in spray-paint. The piece really has an interesting narrative that makes the viewer think that the figure is up to no good, but in a really almost girlish way. I think that this piece really does a wonderful job of representing Albuquerque, New Mexico, showing that we have many great murals, and the native women to the area. There’s just something about this piece that always has me driving slowly past it, I think it’s the use of detail and shading that really catches me.

No comments:

Post a Comment