Thursday, September 12, 2013

Homework 4-Alise Roybal

                         Pauline,(edwair on devinatart) Tapesry Oil Nude, oil on canvas,2007.

Done Well:
1. I really like the colors she brings out, espcially on the ribs and torso, there are some very nice reds and greens that come out and make each other pop.
2. I think there is a nice range of both cool and warm shadows, the shadows aren't all the same value which is good. 

Improvement Suggestions:  
1. I think the background(well more like the stuff around her) is too distracting and all over the place, I think it should be toned down.
2.  Some features get lost, such as her leg-it feels like it's being cut off at an odd angle and the same for the hand by her head.



                                      Ian Jun Wei, Sarafina Herself, oil on canvas, 2012

Done Well:
1. I really enjoy the deep shadows, such as on her breasts, although I feel like there would also be deep shadows on her neck/shoulder. These shadows really ground her and give her weight, it makes her feel like she is really sitting.
2. I think there is a strong use of warm colors in her skin, nice oranges, pinks and reds. It adds life to the body and are located in key areas such as, the knees, collar bone, shoulders, and hands.

Improvement Suggestion:
1. I personally don't like the way the face is done, I can see it being done to add a sense of mystery or ambiguity to the women but to me it comes off like a smudged face and out of place. The face is distracting and stands out like a soar thumb, it's the first thing I jump to when I look at her which I'm not sure is a good thing. I would like it if there was just a tad bit more information to the face so that it didn't feel like the artist messed up on it and left it. Although browsing his work I noticed several other beautiful paintings with the same blurred/smudged face so I don't know if it is purposeful or perhaps lack of skill.
2. I feel like there could have been a bit more use of cooler colors in her skin. The only bits of blue I see are mostly on her legs and that from the reflective light of the fabric.



                                              Alex Bobylev, untitled, oil on canvas, 2010.

Done Well:
1. I think the lighting on the figure is done really well, there is an obvious light source which helps to define and ground the figure. The contrast between the lighter areas(such as shoulders) and darker areas (such as legs), is strong and models the figure. 
2. I think colors are used well on the body, the area of this side (mostly the ribs), has a really nice spot where there is a greenish-blue right up against a warm red-brown, it highlights the area and helps to compliment each other. There are other areas like this on the body, such as the leg.
Improvement Suggestions:
1. I feel like the leg facing the viewer is oddly smooth, especially when compared to the rest of his body. It also becomes a bit lost towards the bottom, perhaps a bit more light would have helped to define it better. Although it does offer some nice values.
2.The figure has some very strong shadows, perhaps if the materials around him did as well it would help to place the figure a bit more.


Figurative art around ABQ:
*will fill out soon*

No comments:

Post a Comment